Thelma Jean Leighton Maguire, 87, of N. Chesterfield, Va., died peacefully at home on Monday, February 20, 2023. She was preceded in death by her beloved husband of 38 years, Col. James E. Maguire; parents Arthur and Hattie Leighton; sisters and brothers. Thelma is survived by her children, Jean-Marie Pauley (Doug), James Edward Maguire, Jr. (Rebecca), and Joan Leighton Maguire (Kevin); grandchildren, Jessica Shen (Jack), Doug Pauley, Joe Maguire (Leighann), Lindsay Maguire, M.D., Samantha McGranahan and Stephanie McGranahan; and great grandchildren, Sage Marie Moss and James Lee Maguire; and her sister Edna Van Camp. Also preceding TJ in death is her loyal friend Dale Wise.
A Washington State native, TJ married Jim in 1957 and was the ideal resourceful Army wife, packing and moving her family of five every year or so. Over 23 years, they lived in many homes, on and off base, and made many wonderful memories and friends, before settling in Chesterfield County.
TJ had a long career as a systems analyst and was instrumental in the ground-breaking development of bringing Medicare and Medicaid into the 21st century, programming over the Internet for the first time.
A visitation will be held from 4 to 6 p.m. on Wednesday, March 1, at Morrissett Funeral Home, 6500 Iron Bridge Rd., N. Chesterfield, VA 23234. A graveside service will be held at Arlington National Cemetery at a later date. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in her name to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 6704, Hagerstown, MD 21741 www.cancer.org. Online condolences at www.morrisett.com.
- Date & Time: June 30, 2023 (2:30 PM)
- Venue: Fort Myer Old Post Chapel
- Location: 204 Lee Ave Fort Myer, VA 22211 - (Get Directions)
- Date & Time: June 30, 2023 (3:00 PM)
- Venue: Arlington National Cemetery
- Location: 1 Memorial Ave Arlington, VA 22211 - (Get Directions)
American Cancer Society
- Address: P.O. Box 6704, Hagerstown, MD 21741
- Website: http://www.cancer.org
- Phone Number: +1(800) 227-2345
- Description: While most people know us for our research, we do so much more. We work to end cancer as we know it, for everyone. We advocate for lifesaving policy changes. We promote healthy lifestyles to help you prevent cancer. We research cancer and its causes to find more answers and better treatments. We provide information, answers, and support to people in every community who have been touched by cancer. And we do it all 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.