Paperwork a Funeral Home or Cremation Provider will Need from You

What Funeral Home and Cremation Fees You can Expect to Pay
August 20, 2018
Death, Anger, and Forgiveness
September 1, 2018

When you have suffered a loss, making funerary arrangements during this difficult time, and knowing exactly what kind of paperwork you will need to present the funeral home or cremation provider is important. There are a number of different items you will need to give to a Dale City, VA funeral home and cremation service provider to ensure that everything is done legally and correctly. Gather the following documents to make sure everything goes smoothly.

The first and most important document you will need to provide the funeral home, as well as many other services as you make arrangements, is the death certificate. A coroner, emergency medical technician, nurse, doctor, or hospice worker can provide these certificates. It is recommended that you get at least twenty copies, since most of the legal processes you will have to do after the death of a loved one will require proof of death.

Another thing you will need is the Employer Identification Number, or EIN. This number will allow you to deal with the estate of the deceased. For people who are depending on the estate to pay for funeral fees, having this number is crucial. Speak with an attorney about becoming the executor of the estate so that you can gain access to this number.

The rest of the paperwork, you will be able to find among the deceased’s legal documents. You will need to gather some form of identification, which can include a driver’s license, passport, Social Security card, and any other legal photo ID. For some procedures you may require more than one proof of identification, so keep this in mind.

The wills come next. If your loved one left behind what they wanted done with their estate or personal property, you will need to follow their instructions. You may need an attorney for this, although some people choose to do it themselves. Be sure to check for financial information, as well, including paperwork of bonds or stocks, bank statements, brokerage information, life insurance policies, pension documents, accounts payable on death, and income tax returns. You will need all of this information if you are responsible for putting the deceased’s financial matters in order.

Bills should also be a concern. You will need access to online accounts, especially if automated payments have been set up to pay for things like mortgages or credit cards. All of this should be together with the financial records, but if it is not, speak with an attorney.

Having all of the right paperwork in order as soon as someone dies is the right way to ensure that all of the funerary arrangements are efficiently prepared. People in charge of funeral homes and cremations in Dale City, VA will be able to help you with this step if you do not know how to proceed. Start with a company like Morrissett Funeral and Cremation Service in 6500 Iron Bridge Rd Richmond, VA 23234. Call them at (804) 275-7828 today.

Call Now Button